[Python-Dev] On porting to Python 3 as the answer

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 23:35:26 CET 2014

On 24 Mar 2014 03:48, "Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>
wrote:

>> Am 23.03.14 17:22, schrieb Guido van Rossum:
>> > At Dropbox I work with a large group of very capable developers on
>> > several large code bases that are currently in 2.7. We are constantly
>> > changing our code to make it more secure (there are several teams
>> > specifically in charge of that). And yet porting to Python 3 is
>> > completely out of scope, for a variety of reasons.
>> >
>> > Please stop your wishful thinking.
>>
>> I can stop expressing it; I don't think I can stop wishing it :-)
>>
>> If it's really unrealistic that Dropbox will ever port the code
>> to Python 3, would you then think that Python 3 is a doomed project,
>> since it won't ever see significant usage?
>

> No, it's just that the timescale is drastically different.

Yep, and Paul was ultimately right in guessing that part of my motivation
here was seeing trouble on the horizon in terms of RH's ability to
affordably sustain our own long term support commitments for the Python 2
series.

That said, I didn't actually realise the full implications for us until
*after* writing, publishing and receiving feedback on the PEP, though -
otherwise I would likely have done things in a different order. Isn't open
source fun? :)

So I'm now going to switch my focus on this topic to the Fedora community
for a while: I think the second draft of the PEP is in a pretty reasonable
state, and from my perspective, anything we come up with is going to have
to at least pass muster with the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee for
it to actually solve the upcoming supportability problem on that side of
things.

It would be good if folks engaged with other downstream redistributors
could also get them to take a look and provide feedback. A plan we like,
but key redistributors choose not to go along with, would be rather missing
the point...

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com