[Python-Dev] 'Add/Remove Programs' entry missing for 'current user only' 32-bit installations on 64-bit Windows

Jurko Gospodnetić jurko.gospodnetic at pke.hr
Wed Mar 19 17:20:03 CET 2014

   Hi.

On 19.3.2014. 16:38, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
 > Am 17.03.14 22:10, schrieb Jurko Gospodnetić:
 >> Fixing
 >> this required manually cleaning up leftover CPython 3.4.0rc3 windows
 >> installer registry entries. Note that the issue could not be fixed
 >> by using the CPython 3.4.0rc3 installer as it failed due to the
 >> same problem.
 >
 > Did you try the 3.4.0rc3 "repair" installation? That should have
 > undeleted (repaired) the files that you had manually deleted.

   Just tested this out and repairing the same matching installation
does revert the removed files. It does not reinstall pip and setuptools
packages but that can be done easily by hand and so can be filed as a
minor enhancement issue for the future.

   That at least provides a way to remove the the original installation
in some way without having to manually remove its related Windows
Installer registry entries.

   The problem with the 'Add/Remove Programs' dialog still makes this
issue a bit complicated because a user not well versed in how Windows
Installer tracks its installations internally would not see the
installation in the 'standard place' where he is supposed to look for
it, and would just be told by the new installation that 'something
failed'. To use a 'repair' installation he would need to 'guess' which
installation he used before and run its installer directly.

   When the 'Add/Remove Programs' dialog is fixed, user will be able to
see & repair the installation from there, and even remove it directly if
the uninstallation fails (I recall Windows asking if you want this if it
can not uninstall something).

   I'll try to open an issue for the 'Add/Remove Programs' dialog issue
soon, and I'll add a comment about the 'repair' situation there as well.

   Best regards,
     Jurko Gospodnetić