[Python-Dev] 'Add/Remove Programs' entry missing for 'current user only' 32-bit installations on 64-bit Windows

Jurko Gospodnetić jurko.gospodnetic at pke.hr
Wed Mar 19 16:49:23 CET 2014

   Hi.

On 19.3.2014. 16:38, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Am 17.03.14 22:10, schrieb Jurko Gospodnetić:
>> Fixing
>> this required manually cleaning up leftover CPython 3.4.0rc3 windows
>> installer registry entries. Note that the issue could not be fixed by
>> using the CPython 3.4.0rc3 installer as it failed due to the same problem.
>
> Did you try the 3.4.0rc3 "repair" installation? That should have
> undeleted (repaired) the files that you had manually deleted.

   I tried different things back then, and I'm 90% sure I tried that one
as well. Unfortunately, my brain is already trying to block out that
painful afternoon so I can't tell you for certain. :-)

   But, all kidding aside, I'll try to reproduce the issue again and let
you know the exact details.

>>    Should I open a 'Add/Remove Programs' dialog related issue in the
>> CPython issue tracker?
>
> Please do. It would also good if somebody volunteered to reproduce
> the issue.

   Will do.

   FYI, I did reproduce the 'Add/Remove Programs' dialog issue on
another PC in the mean time. Also Windows 7 x64 though. Unfortunately, I
don't have other 64-bit OSs readily available at the moment.

>> And possibly a separate one for making CPython
>> installations not fail without possible recovery if a previous CPython
>> installation has already been removed?
>
> Please don't. Or, at least, make it more specific. If you have manually
> corrupted your Python installation (by deleting essential files), you
> have to accept that the system installation procedures will fail.
>
> It might be possible to recover from the loss of a specific such file;
> for that, we would have to identify what the file is. However, the
> standard procedure should be to repair the installation before
> attempting an upgrade.

   Ok, as I stated above, I'll get back to you on this once I reproduce
the 'corruption' issue again.

   Oh, and many thanks for replying! :-)

   Best regards,
     Jurko Gospodnetić