[Python-Dev] "Five reviews to get yours reviewed"?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 02:00:03 CET 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 11:11:01 +1100
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> More importantly, if there is such an offer, it'd be great to mention
>> it somewhere, so people can know what they can do to move an issue
>> forward. (And preferably with a link somewhere to what it means to
>> review a patch - what it takes to make a useful and helpful review,
>> which I'm not entirely sure of at the moment.) If there's not, is it
>> something that could be considered? I'd love to see some downward
>> movement on the Open Issues figure, but am not really sure what I can
>> personally do to help.
>
> It's such an unbalanced offer that it's understandable why it never
> worked. "One review against another" would be reasonable.
>
> That said, it's not a mere issue of time. It's also that occasional
> contributors may not have (or may not feel they have) the required
> expertise to review other people's patches.

Since there's a skill level difference, I can understand that I'd have
to do more work than I'm asking someone else to do. But it's the other
part that's more important. How would someone know whether or not
they're capable of making useful reviews? Are there guidelines
somewhere? Obviously you have to be able to apply the patch, compile
(if appropriate), and probably run the test suite, but beyond that,
what does it take to review? (The buildbots have the intelligence to
do that.)

ChrisA