[Python-Dev] C version of functools.lru_cache

Peter Brady petertbrady at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 17:38:50 CEST 2014

Hello python devs,

I was recently in need of some faster caching and thought this would be a
good opportunity to familiarize myself with the Python/C api so I wrote a C
extension for the lru_cache in functools.  The source is at
https://github.com/pbrady/fastcache.git and I've posted it as a package on
PyPI (fastcache).  There are some simple benchmarks on the github page
showing about 9x speedup.  I would like to submit this for incorporation
into the standard library.  Is there any interest in this? I suspect it
probably requires some changes/cleanup especially since I haven't addressed
thread-safety at all.

Thanks,
Peter.

P.S. This was the motivation for the faster caching
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/7464.