[Python-Dev] Fix Unicode-disabled build of Python 2.7

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 14:10:07 CEST 2014

24.06.14 14:50, Victor Stinner написав(ла):
>> I can't see any reason to make a backwards-incompatible change to
>> Python 2 to only support Unicode. You're bound to break somebody's
>> setup. Wouldn't it be better to fix bugs as Serhiy has done?
>
> According to the long list of issues, I don't think that it's possible
> to compile and use Python stdlib when Python is compiled without
> Unicode support. So I'm not sure that we can say that it's an
> backward-incompatible change.

Python has about 300 modules, my patches fix about 30 modules (only 8 of
them cause compiling error). And that's almost all. Left only pickle,
json, etree, email and unicode-specific modules (codecs, unicodedata and
encodings). Besides pickle I'm not sure that others can be fixed.

The fact that only small fraction of modules needs fixes means that
Python without unicode support can be pretty usable.

The main problem was with testing itself. Test suite depends on
tempfile, which now uses io.open, which didn't work without unicode
support (at least since 2.7).