[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 patch levels turning two digit

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 01:42:26 CEST 2014

On 24 Jun 2014 07:29, "Donald Stufft" <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2014, at 5:22 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 23, 2014, at 05:15 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:
> >
> >> Normally when I see someone suggest that switching compilers
> >> in 2.7.x is likely to be less work than releasing a 2.8 It normally
> >> appears to me they haven’t looked at the impact on the packaging
> >> tooling.
> >
> > Just to be clear, releasing a Python 2.8 has enormous impact outside of
just
> > the amount of work to do it.  It's an exceedingly bad idea.
>
> Can you clarify?
>
> Also FWIW I’m not really married to the 2.8 thing, it’s mostly that, on
Windows, the X.Y release
> prior to the ABI thing in 3.x _was_ the ABI so all the tooling builds on
that. So you need to
> either
>
> 1) Stick with the old Compiler

This is what we're going with. Steve is working on making that more
manageable from the Visual Studio side, and there are some folks in the
numeric/scientific community looking at improving the usability of the
MinGW toolchain for the purpose of building Python 2.7 C extensions.

> 2) Release 2.8

Impractical for the various reasons Barry listed.

> 3) Do all the work to fix all the tooling to cope with the fact that X.Y
isn’t the ABI on 2.x anymore

Impractical for the various reasons you listed.

> I don’t think a reasonable option is:
>
> 4) Just switch compilers and leave it on someone else’s doorsteps to fix
the entire packaging
>     tool chain to cope.

Agreed. We discussed this option in detail when the Stackless folks asked
about it a while ago, and the conclusion was that the risk of obscure
breakage was just too high.

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com