[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 patch levels turning two digit

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Jun 23 22:55:55 CEST 2014

On Jun 23, 2014, at 4:31 PM, Martin v. Löwis <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

>> Would that mitigate the pain, assuming that
>> Steve (or someone else) would be willing to build the additional
>> installers for the transition period?  I've done something similar on a
>> smaller scale with the OS X 32-bit installer for 2.7.x but that impact
>> is much less as the audience for that installer is much smaller.
>
> Well, the question really is whether precompiled extension modules
> available from PyPI would work on both compilers. I understand that
> for OSX, you typically don't have precompiled binaries for the extension
> modules, so installation compiles the modules from scratch. This is
> easier, as it can use the ABI of the Python which will be installed
> to.
>
> If you go the "parallel ABIs" route, extension authors have to provide
> two parallel sets of packages as well. Given 32-bit and 64-bit packages,
> this will make actually two additional packages - just as if they had
> to support another Python version.

As far as I know, stuff on OSX is generally built for “X compiler or later”
so binary compatibility is kept as long as you’re using an “or later” but
I could be wrong about that. Using binary packages on OSX is a much
less frequent thing I think though since getting a working compiler toolchain
is easier there.

Donald Stufft