[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 patch levels turning two digit

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jun 23 22:40:30 CEST 2014

Am 23.06.14 22:04, schrieb Antoine Pitrou:
> Le 23/06/2014 15:27, M.-A. Lemburg a écrit :
>>
>> Not sure what you mean. We've had binary wininst distributions
>> for Windows for more than a decade, and egg and msi distributions
>> for 8 years :-)
>>
>> But without access to the VS 2008 compiler that is needed to
>> compile those extensions,
>
> It does seem to be available:
> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13276
>
> What am I missing?

I believe (without testing) that this is just the service pack.
Installing it requires a pre-existing installation of Visual
Studio 2008, or else the installer will refuse to do anything.
Note that it also won't install on top of Visual Studio Express:
you need a licensed copy of Visual Studio to install the service
pack.

Visual Studio 2008 still *is* available to MSDN users. It's
just not available through regular sales channels anymore.

Regards,
Martin