[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 patch levels turning two digit

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jun 23 08:09:32 CEST 2014

>  * Is it a good strategy to ship to Python releases for every
>    single OpenSSL security release or is there a better way to
>    handle these 3rd party issues ?

At least for Windows, a new release certainly needs to be made.
It could be possible to produce MSI patch files, but this would
still be a new release.

>    I think we should link to the OpenSSL libs dynamically rather
>    than statically in Python 2.7 for Windows so that it's possible
>    to provide drop-in updates for such issues.

It is possible to provide drop-in updates regardless of whether the
OpenSSL libs are dynamically linked, as the _ssl module itself is a
dynamic lib.

>  * Should we try to avoid two digit patch level release numbers
>    by using some other mechanism such as e.g. a release date
>    after 2.7.9 ?

If it was for me, then yes, certainly: the development of 2.7 should
just stop :-)

>  * Should we make use of the potential breakage with 2.7.10
>    to introduce a new Windows compiler version for Python 2.7 ?

Assuming it is a good idea to continue producing Windows binaries
for 2.7, I think it would be a bad idea to switch compilers. It will
cause severe breakage of 2.7 installations, much more problematic
than switching to two-digit version numbers.

Regards,
Martin