[Python-Dev] Windows XP, Python 3.5 and PEP 11

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 09:03:54 CEST 2014

> On 17/06/2014 04:08, Zachary Ware wrote:
>> This was recently discussed in the "Moving Python 3.5 on Windows to a
>> new compiler" thread, where Martin declared XP support to be ended
>> [1].  I believe Tim Golden is the only resident Windows dev from whom
>> I haven't seen at least implicit agreement that XP doesn't need
>> further support, so I'd say our support for XP is well and truly dead
>> :)
>>
>> In any case, surely anyone stuck with XP can be happy with Python 3.4.
>> I'm perfectly fine with 3.2 on Win2k!
>>

> I think we're justified in dropping XP support, for all the reasons others
> have given.

Would you be ok to make this official by adding Windows XP explicitly
to the PEP 11? (I can do the change, I'm just asking for a
confirmation.)

> Like most people, I suppose, I'm support WinXP in various ways
> (including embedded) because "not supported" != "not working". But those are
> all running 2.x versions of Python.

I'm ok to provide a best-effort support of Windows XP on Python 2.7
(and maybe also Python 3.4), especially if there are Windows XP
buildbots. We can drop Windows XP support in Python 3.5 only.

Victor