[Python-Dev] Backwards Incompatibility in logging module in 3.4?

Don Spaulding donspauldingii at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 00:38:26 CEST 2014

Hi there,

I just started testing a project of mine on Python 3.4.0b1.  I ran into a
change that broke compatibility with the logging module in 3.3.

The basic test is:

    $ py34/bin/python -c 'import logging;
print(logging.getLevelName("debug".upper()))'
    Level DEBUG

    $ py33/bin/python -c 'import logging;
print(logging.getLevelName("debug".upper()))'
    10

I quickly stumbled upon this webpage:

http://aazza.github.io/2014/05/31/testing-on-multiple-versions-of-Python/

Which led me to this ticket regarding the change:

http://bugs.python.org/issue18046

Is this a bug or an intentional break?  If it's the latter, shouldn't this
at least be mentioned in the "What's new in Python 3.4" document?  If it's
the former, should I file a bug?

Thanks,
Don