[Python-Dev] subprocess shell=True on Windows doesn't escape ^ character

Ryan rymg19 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 23:58:30 CEST 2014

Of course! And, why not escape everything else, too?

abc -> ^a^b^c

echo %PATH% -> ^e^c^h^o^ ^%^P^A^T^H^%

In all seriousness, to me this is obvious. When you pass a command to the shell, naturally, certain details are shell-specific.

-10000. Bad idea. Very bad idea. If you want the ^ to be escaped, do it yourself. Or better yet, don't pass shell=True.