[Python-Dev] Moving Python 3.5 on Windows to a new compiler

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Sat Jun 7 06:01:58 CEST 2014

> Why not just define Python 2.8 as Python 2.7 except with a newer compiler?
> I cannot see why that would be massive undertaking, if changing compiler
> for 2.7 is neccesary anyway.

A reminder that this was brought up a few months ago, as a proposal by the
stackless team, as they wanted to use a newer compiler for binaries. IIRC,
there was a pretty resounding "don't do that" from this list. Makes sense
to me -- we have how many different binaries of 2.7 on how many platforms,
with how many compilers? Sure, python.org has been nicely consistent about
what compiler (run time, really) they use to distribute Windows binaries,
but the python version has NOTHING to do with what compiler is used. (for
hat matter there is 32 bit and 64 bit 2.7 on Windows ...)

I think, at the time, it was thought that pip, wheel, and the metadata
standards should be extended to allow multiple binaries of the same version
with different compilers to be in the wild. those projects have had bigger
fish to fry, but maybe it's time to get ahead of the game with that, so we
can accommodate this change. It's already getting hard to find VS2008
Express, and building 64 bit extensions is s serious pain.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov