[Python-Dev] Moving Python 3.5 on Windows to a new compiler

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jun 6 22:23:06 CEST 2014

Am 06.06.14 22:13, schrieb Paul Moore:
> From http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-14-ctp-vs
>
> """
> Currently, Visual Studio "14" CTPs have known compatibility issues
> with previous releases of Visual Studio and should not be installed
> side-by-side on the same computer.
> """

I also found

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2967191

which is more specific about this issue:

'''There are known issues when you install Visual Studio "14" CTP
14.0.21730.1 DP on the same computer as Visual Studio 2013. While we
expect that an uninstallation of Visual Studio "14" and then a repair of
Visual Studio 2013 should fix these issues, our safest recommendation is
to install Visual Studio "14" in a VM, a VHD, a fresh computer, or
another non-production test-only computer that does not have Visual
Studio 2013 on it. All of these Visual Studio side-by-side issues are
expected to be fixed soon.

There is an installation block in this Visual Studio "14" CTP that will
prevent installation on a computer where an earlier version of Visual
Studio is already installed. To disable the block that will put the
computer in an un-recommended state, add the value "BlockerOverride" to
the registry:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DevDiv\vs\Servicing'''

So it seems to me that switching to VS 14 at this point in time is
not possible.

Of course, Steve could certainly maintain a Mercurial clone
in his hg.python.org sandbox that has all the necessary changes
done, so people won't have to redo the porting over and over.

Regards,
Marti