[Python-Dev] Moving Python 3.5 on Windows to a new compiler

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Jun 6 20:41:16 CEST 2014

On 06.06.2014 20:25, Brian Curtin wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Maybe, but I doubt it will ever be acceptable :)
>>
>> Well, there were discussions. Since Python 2.7's support is far
>> exceeding the Microsoft promise of support for the compiler it was
>> built on, there's going to be a problem, one way or the other. I don't
>> know how that's going to end up being resolved.
>
> We're going to have to change it at some point, otherwise we're going
> to have people in 2018 scrambling to find VS2008, which will be 35
> versions too old by then. No matter what we do here, we're going to
> have a tough PR situation, but we have to make something workable. I'd
> rather cause a hassle than outright kill extensions.
>
> I would probably prefer we aim for VS 14 for 3.5, and then explore
> making the same change for the 2.7.x release that comes after 3.5.0
> comes out. Lessons learned and all that.

Are you sure that's an option ? Changing the compiler the stock
Python from python.org is built with will most likely render
existing Python extensions built for 2.7.x with x < (release that comes
after 3.5.0) broken, so users and installation tools will end up
having to pay close attention to the patch level version of Python
they are using... which is something we wanted to avoid after
we ran into this situation with 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 a few years ago.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 06 2014)
2014-05-28: Released mxODBC.Connect 2.1.0 ...     http://egenix.com/go56
2014-07-02: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                 26 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/