[Python-Dev] Internal representation of strings and Micropython

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 14:37:08 CEST 2014

Hello,

On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 22:20:04 +1000

[]
> problems caused by trusting the locale encoding to be correct, but the
> startup code will need non-trivial changes for that to happen - the
> C.UTF-8 locale may even become widespread before we get there).

... And until those golden times come, it would be nice if Python did
not force its perfect world model, which unfortunately is not based on
surrounding reality, and let users solve their encoding problems
themselves - when they need, because again, one can go quite a long way
without dealing with encodings at all. Whereas now Python3 forces users
to deal with encoding almost universally, but forcing a particular for
all strings (which is again, doesn't correspond to the state of
surrounding reality). I already hear response that it's good that users
taught to deal with encoding, that will make them write correct
programs, but that's a bit far away from the original aim of making it
write "correct" programs easy and pleasant. (And definition of
"correct" vary.)

But all that is just an opinion.

> Cheers,
> Nick.