[Python-Dev] Internal representation of strings and Micropython

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 13:43:16 CEST 2014

On 5 June 2014 21:25, Paul Sokolovsky <pmiscml at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I understand the plan - hoping that people will "get over this".
> And I'm personally happy to stay away from this "trolling", but any
> discussion related to Unicode goes in circles and returns to feeling
> that Unicode at the central role as put there by Python3 is misplaced.

Many of the challenges network programmers face in Python 3 are around
binary data being more inconvenient to work with than it needs to be,
not the fact we decentralised boundary code by offering a strict
binary/text separation as the default mode of operation. Aside from
some of the POSIX locale handling issues on Linux, many of the
concerns are with the usability of bytes and bytearray, not with str -
that's why binary interpolation is coming back in 3.5, and there will
likely be other usability tweaks for those types as well.

More on that at
http://python-notes.curiousefficiency.org/en/latest/python3/questions_and_answers.html#what-actually-changed-in-the-text-model-between-python-2-and-python-3

Cheers,
Nick.