[Python-Dev] Internal representation of strings and Micropython

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 03:19:13 CEST 2014

Hello,

On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 12:08:21 +1200
Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
> > A language which doesn't support O(1) indexing is not Python, it is
> > only Python-like language.
>
> That's debatable, but even if it's true, I don't think
> there's anything wrong with MicroPython being only a
> "Python-like language". As has been pointed out, fitting
> Python onto a small device is always going to necessitate
> some compromises.

Thanks. I mentioned in another mail that we exactly trying to develop a
minimalistic, but Python implementation, not Python-like language.

What is "Python-like" for me. The other most well-know, and mature (as
in "started quite some time ago") "small Python" implementation is
PyMite aka Python-on-a-chip
https://code.google.com/p/python-on-a-chip/ . It implements good deal
of Python2 language. It doesn't implement exception handling
(try/except). Can a Python be without exception handling? For me,
the clear answer is "no".

Please put that in perspective when alarming over O(1) indexing of
inherently problematic niche datatype. (Again, it's not my or
MicroPython's fault that it was forced as standard string type. Maybe
if CPython seriously considered now-standard UTF-8 encoding, results
of what is "str" type might be different. But CPython has gigabytes of
heap to spare, and for MicroPython, every half-bit is precious).