[Python-Dev] Internal representation of strings and Micropython

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Wed Jun 4 23:54:08 CEST 2014

On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 00:14:32 +0300, Paul Sokolovsky <pmiscml at gmail.com> wrote:
> That said, and unlike previous attempts to develop a small Python
> implementations (which of course existed), we're striving to be exactly
> a Python language implementation, not a Python-like language
> implementation. As there's no formal, implementation-independent
> language spec, what constitutes a compatible language implementation is
> subject to opinions, and we welcome and appreciate independent review,
> like this thread did.

The language reference is also the language specification.  I don't
know what you mean by 'formal', so presumably it doesn't qualify
:)  That said, if there are places that are not correctly marked as
implementation specific, those are bugs in the reference and should
be fixed.  There almost certainly are still such bugs, and I suspect
MicroPython can help us fix them, just as PyPy did/does.

--David