[Python-Dev] Should standard library modules optimize for CPython?

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 22:51:30 CEST 2014

Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:

> So the
> argument in favour is mostly a pragmatic one. If you can have 2-5x faster
> code essentially for free, why not just go for it?

I would be easier if the GIL or Cython's use of it was redesigned. Cython
just grabs the GIL and holds on to it until it is manually released. The
standard lib cannot have packages that holds the GIL forever, as a Cython
compiled module would do. Cython has to start sharing access the GIL like
the interpreter does.

Sturla