[Python-Dev] Should standard library modules optimize for CPython?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 14:31:17 CEST 2014

On 1 Jun 2014 18:13, "Steven D'Aprano" <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> My feeling is that the CPython standard library should be written for
> CPython, that is, it should stick to the current naive implementation of
> median, and if PyPy wants to speed the function up, they can provide
> their own version of the module. I should *not* complicate the
> implementation by trying to detect which Python the code is running
> under and changing algorithms accordingly. However, I should put a
> comment in the module pointing at the tracker issue. Does this sound
> right to others?

One option is to set the pure Python module up to be paired with an
accelerator module (and update the test suite accordingly), even if we
*don't provide* an accelerator in CPython. That just inverts the more
common case (where we have an accelerator written in C, but another
implementation either doesn't need one, or just doesn't have one yet).

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com