[Python-Dev] == on object tests identity in 3.x - list delegation to members?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 20:11:58 CEST 2014

On 13 July 2014 11:34, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 2:23 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
>>> We will see
>>> later that that happens. Further, when comparing float NaNs of the same
>>> identity, the list implementation forgot to special-case NaNs. Which
>>> would be a bug, IMHO.
>>
>> "Forgot"? I don't think the behaviour of list comparisons is an
>> accident.
>
> Well, "forgot" is on the basis that the identity check is intended to
> be a mere optimization. If that were the case ("don't actually call
> __eq__ when you reckon it'll return True"), then yes, failing to
> special-case NaN would be a bug. But since it's intended behaviour, as
> explained further down, it's not a bug and not the result of
> forgetfulness.

Right, it's not a mere optimisation - it's the only way to get
containers to behave sensibly. Otherwise we'd end up with nonsense
like:

>>> x = float("nan")
>>> x in [x]
False

That currently returns True because of the identity check - it would
return False if we delegated the check to float.__eq__ because the
defined IEEE754 behaviour for NaN's breaks the mathematical definition
of an equivalence class as a transitive, reflexive and commutative
operation. (It breaks it for *good reasons*, but we still need to
figure out a way of dealing with the impedance mismatch between the
definition of floats and the definition of container invariants like
"assert x in [x]")

The current approach means that the lack of reflexivity of NaN's stays
confined to floats and similar types - it doesn't leak out and infect
the behaviour of the container types.

What we've never figured out is a good place to *document* it. I
thought there was an open bug for that, but I can't find it right now.

Cheers,
Nick.