[Python-Dev] Enable Hostname and Certificate Chain Validation

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 15:16:14 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 1:08 AM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now, maybe it wouldn't be a problem if the fix is an environment
>> variable, but imagine a thousand-computer deployment and you have to
>> tweak the environment on all of them. Feel like doing that just
>> because the newest Python needs it? Not so much.
>>

> What's the bet that that application will be ported to python 3.4/3.5 if this is the case? I'd say approaching 0, which is ok.

Define "ported to". (This particular application isn't Python, so the
specifics don't apply, but in general.) Usually that means simply "run
on". Something that was written for Python 3.2 will probably run on
3.3, and on 3.4, and on 3.5 as well. You certainly wouldn't expect one
small corner of it to suddenly start doing different stuff, and if you
do, you'll blame Python... which would mean that you're right, that
program wouldn't be run on 3.4. Is that a good thing? I don't know,
but I think not. In a big company with lots of seats, every option is
looking like a sysadmin's nightmare.

That said, though, I agree *in principle* that secure-by-default is
the way to go. It's just the backward-incompatibility of *changing*
it. I like how requests is going.

ChrisA