[Python-Dev] signature.object, argument clinic and grouped parameters

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 12:46:48 CET 2014

On 21 Jan 2014 13:49, "Larry Hastings" <larry at hastings.org> wrote:

> On 01/20/2014 03:53 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>>
>> Please turn the question around and look at it with your release manager
hat on rather than your creator of Argument Clinic hat: if I came to you
and said I wanted to add a new public API to the inspect module after the
second beta release, what would you say? Can you honestly say that if
*someone else* was proposing the inclusion of a new public API this late in
the release cycle, you would say yes?

> You're right.  Optional group information won't be a public API in 3.4.

Thanks for that. I agree it's a shame we missed the 3.4 feature deadline
(as I would also like to see full C level signature support done and
dusted), but once 3.4 is out the door we can hopefully resurrect PEP 457 as
a direct successor to the original PEP 362, and update the inspect module
to also handle these quirkier variants. Perhaps we can even add that public
API for building Signature objects from string definitions, since that has
proved quite handy internally :)

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com