[Python-Dev] Using argument clinic to replace timemodule.c:parse_time_t_args()

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sun Jan 19 11:38:12 CET 2014

On 01/18/2014 09:52 PM, Ryan Smith-Roberts wrote:

> I still advise you not to use this solution. time() is a system call
> on many operating systems, and so it can be a heavier operation than
> you'd think. Best to avoid it unless it's needed (on FreeBSD it seems
> to add about 15% overhead to localtime(), for instance).

I agree.  Converting to Argument Clinic should not cause a performance
regression.  Please don't add new calls to time() for the sake of making
code more generic.

A better choice would be to write a converter function in C, then use a
custom converter that called it.  Nikolaus: Is that something you're
comfortable doing?

> As for why you're getting that exception, it definitely looks like a
> bug in Argument Clinic. I spotted another bug that would have bitten
> you while I was looking for this one, so I've opened bugs on both
> issues, and put you on the nosy list for them.

According to the issue tracker, " rmsr" has only ever filed one issue.
I just fixed (and closed) it.

//arry/