[Python-Dev] python code in argument clinic annotations

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Thu Jan 16 20:50:24 CET 2014

On 01/16/2014 11:36 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Yury Selivanov
> <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If we keep it strictly declarative, then, at least, we’ll have this
>> possibility in the future.
> Sounds like a pretty unlikely scenario. Why would you implement clinic in C?

We'll never reimplement Argument Clinic in C.  I could list many reasons
for this.  Suffice to say, I'm not doing it, and I doubt anyone else
would ever step up to the plate and try it.

And, "form follows function".  It's a bad idea to limit Argument
Clinic's features today based on what might be inconvenient someday in
some hypothetical rewrite in C.  Argument Clinic should be maximally
useful, right now.

//arry/