[Python-Dev] Common subset of python 2 and python 3

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jan 15 13:22:44 CET 2014

Am 12.01.14 18:39, schrieb Nachshon David Armon:
>>> I propose that this new version of python use the python 3 unicode model.
>>> As the version of python will be fully compatible with both python 2 and
>>> with python 3 but NOT necsesarily with all existing code in either. It is
>>> designed as a porting tool only.

I don't think that it is possible to write an interpreter that is fully
compatible for all it accepts. Would you think that the program

print(repr(2**80).endswith("L"))

is in the subset that should be supported by both Python 2 and Python 3?

Notice that it prints "True" in Python 2 and "False" in Python 3. So if
this common-version interpreter *rejects* the above program, which
operation (**, repr, endswith) would you want to ban from subset?

Regards,
Martin