[Python-Dev] Changing Clinic's output

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Tue Jan 14 21:22:12 CET 2014

On 01/11/2014 07:35 PM, Larry Hastings wrote:

> On 01/08/2014 07:08 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> How hard would it be to put together some sample branches that provide
>> concrete examples of the various options?
>>
>> My own opinion could easily be influenced by having some hands-on time with
>> actual code, and I suspect even Guido could be influenced if he could pull
>> some things up in his editor and take a look around.
>
> I've uploaded a prototype here:
>
>     https://bitbucket.org/larry/python-clinic-buffer

I have now received exactly zero feedback about the prototype, which
suggests people aren't using it.  In an attempt to jump-start this
conversation, I've created a new repository containing the "concrete
examples of the various options" that Barry proposed above.  You may
find it here:

    https://bitbucket.org/larry/clinic-buffer-samples/src

In it I converted Modules/_pickle.c four different ways.  There's a
README, please read it.

People who want to change how Clinic writes its output: this is your big
chance.  Comment on these samples, or produce your own counterexamples,
or something.  If you can enough people on your side maybe Clinic will
change.  If there is no further debate on this topic, nothing will
happen and Clinic will not change.

//arry/