[Python-Dev] PEP 460 reboot and a bitter fight

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Jan 13 08:59:13 CET 2014

> (It's too late here to write more, but it looks like we are in for a
> bitter fight. :-( )

It's already been a bitter fight.

The opponents of %-interpolation (Nick, Antoine, Turnbull, D'Aprano, et al*) all seem to be arguing basically what Nick
said.

The proponents (myself, you, Stufft, Eric Smith, et al*) are arguing that bytes already has an ASCII bias, already has
ASCII string methods, that it isn't the same as the Py2 world because if you combine a bytes object with a str object
outside of interpolation (such as b'hello' + 'world') it doesn't work, that only bytes would ever be returned, etc, etc.

With the possible exception of the question I just asked Nick,  I don't think we're going to get any new information.

I suppose you're used to not being able to please everybody.  :/

--
~Ethan~

* et al means everyone whose name I couldn't remember, or figure out which camp you were in in the wee hours of the night.