[Python-Dev] Python3 "complexity" (was RFC: PEP 460: Add bytes...)

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Thu Jan 9 01:12:57 CET 2014

Just to avoid confusion, let me state up front that I am very well aware of encodings and all that, having internationalized one largish app in python 2.x.  I know the problems that 2.x had with tracking down the source of errors and understand the beautiful concept of encodings on the boundary.

However:
For a  lot of data processing and tools, encoding isn't an issue.  Either you assume ascii, or you're working with something like latin1.  A single byte encoding.  This is because you're working with a text file that _you_ wrote.  And you're not assigning any semantics to the characters.  If there is actual "text" in there it is just english, not Norwegian or Turkish. A byte read at code 0xfa doesn't mean anything special.  It's just that, a byte with that value.  The file system doesn't have any default encoding.  A file on disk is just a file on disk consisting of bytes.  There can never be any wrong encoding, no mojibake.

With python 2, you can read that file into a string object.  You can scan for your field delimiter, e.g. a comma, split up your string, interpolate some binary data, spit it out again.  All without ever thinking about encodings.

Even though the file is conceptually encoded in something, if you insist on attaching a particular semantic meaning to every ordinal value, whatever that meaning is is in many cases irrelevant to the program.

I understand that surrogateescape allows you to do this.  But it is an awkward extra step and forces an extra layer of needles semantics on to that guy that just wants to read a file.  Sure, vegetarians and alergics like to read the list of ingredients on everything that they eat.  But others are just omnivores and want to be able to eat whatever is on the table, and not worry about what it is made of.
And yes, you can read the file in binary mode but then you end up with those bytes objects that we have just found that are tedious to work with.

So, what I'm saying is that at least I have a very common use case that has just become a) more confusing (having to needlessly derail the train of thought about the data processing to be done by thinking about text encodings) and b) more complicated.
Not sure if there is anything to be done about it though :)

I think there might be a different analogy:  Having to specify an encoding is like having strong typing.  In Python 2.7, we _can_ forego that and just duck-type our strings :)