[Python-Dev] RFC: PEP 460: Add bytes % args and bytes.format(args) to Python 3.5

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Jan 8 10:56:43 CET 2014

On 06.01.2014 14:24, Victor Stinner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> bytes % args and bytes.format(args) are requested by Mercurial and
> Twisted projects. The issue #3982 was stuck because nobody proposed a
> complete definition of the "new" features. Here is a try as a PEP.
>
> The PEP is a draft with open questions. First, I'm not sure that both
> bytes%args and bytes.format(args) are needed. The implementation of
> .format() is more complex, so why not only adding bytes%args?

+1 on doing all of this.

I'd simply copy over the Python 2 PyString code and start working
from there.

Readding these features makes live a lot easier in situations where you
have to work on data which is encoded text using multiple (sometimes
even unknown) encodings in a single data chunk. Think MIME messages,
mbox files, diffs, etc.

In such situations you often know the encoding of the part you're
working on (in most cases ASCII), but not necessarily the encodings
of other parts of the chunks.

You could work around this by decoding from Latin-1, then using Unicode
methods and encoding back to Latin-1, but the risk of letting Mojibake
enter your application in uncontrolled ways are high.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 08 2014)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/