[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] Python 3.4.0b2

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 06:54:41 CET 2014

[Bob Hanson]
>> ... magnifying glass, I see it is two very long URLs ending with
>> something like after the blah-blah: < ... akametechnology.com>

[Stephen J. Turnbull]
> I suppose you tried cutting and pasting?  Note that you don't need to
> be exact as long as you're pretty sure you got the whole thing -- your
> readers who have better eyesight can parse out the URL easily enough.

I don't think this was cut 'n paste.  Looking up the IP addresses
returns legit Akamai URLs:

>> More precisely, these two IP addresses:
>>     23.59.190.113:80
>>     23.59.190.106:80

C:\Code>ping -a 23.59.190.113

Pinging a23-59-190-113.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com
[23.59.190.113] with 32 bytes of data:
C:\Code>ping -a 23.59.190.106

Pinging a23-59-190-106.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com
[23.59.190.106] with 32 bytes of data:

Bob's "< ... akametechnology.com>" just looks like compounded typos.

> So your alarm seems to be verified, but why this happened to a Python
> download I don't know.  It could be DNS hacking between you and
> python.org, as well as something in the Python MSI.

Honestly, for all we _know_, this firewall alert may have been
triggered by some other program that just happened to wake up while
Bob was installing Python.  Sure, that's unlikely.  But so is
everything else about this ;-)