[Python-Dev] Python 2.x and 3.x use survey, 2014 edition

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Dec 16 09:09:27 CET 2014

On Dec 16, 2014, at 02:15 PM, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>While he doesn't explicitly say so, I got the distinct impression reading
>his recent blog post that he supports one source, not forked sources.

I've ported a fair bit of code, both pure-Python and C extensions, both
libraries and applications.  For successful library ports to Python 3 that
need to remain Python 2 compatible, I would almost always recommend a single
source, common dialect, no-2to3 approach.  There may be exceptions, but this
strategy has proven effective over and over.  I generally find I don't need
`six` but it does provide some nice conveniences that can be helpful.  With
something like tox running your test suite, it doesn't even have to be painful
to maintain.

Cheers,
-Barry