[Python-Dev] datetime nanosecond support (ctd?)

Matthieu Bec mbec at gmto.org
Tue Dec 16 20:21:19 CET 2014

yes that was mentioned in this thread, %nN looks quite reasonable.

still, I'd like to steer the conversation back to the other aspect -
where should something like struct_timespec land in the first place, is
datetime really the best to capture that?

Most of the conversation has been revolving around strftime/strptime.
That seems to validate Antoine's point in the first place.

Let's see what people say but maybe this thread should end to restart as
separate topics?

Regards,
Matthieu

On 12/16/14 11:08 AM, Skip Montanaro wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 11:10 AM, matthieu bec <mbec at gmto.org
> <mailto:mbec at gmto.org>> wrote:
>  > Agreed with Antoine, strftime/strptime are somewhat different concerns.
>  > Doesn't mean thay cannot be fixed at the same time but it's a bit a
>  > separate.
>
> Which reminds me... Somewhere else (maybe elsewhere in this thread?
> maybe on a bug tracker issue?) someone mentioned that Ruby uses %N for
> fractions of a second (and %L specifically for milliseconds). Here's the
> bit from the Ruby strftime doc:
>
> %L - Millisecond of the second (000..999)
> %N - Fractional seconds digits, default is 9 digits (nanosecond)
>            %3N  millisecond (3 digits)
>            %6N  microsecond (6 digits)
>            %9N  nanosecond (9 digits)
>            %12N picosecond (12 digits)
>
> There's no obvious reason I can see to reinvent this particular wheel,
> at least the %N spoke. The only question might be whether to modify
> Python's existing %f format to accept a precision (defaulting to 6), or
> add %N in a manner similar (or identical) to Ruby's semantics.
>
> Skip

Matthieu Bec                GMTO Corp
cell : +1 626 425 7923      251 S Lake Ave, Suite 300
phone: +1 626 204 0527      Pasadena, CA 91101