[Python-Dev] datetime nanosecond support (ctd?)

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 20:43:05 CET 2014

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> I think strftime / strptime support is a low-priority concern on this
> topic, and can probably be discussed independently of the core
> nanosecond support.

Might be low-priority, but with %f support as a template, supporting
something to specify nanoseconds should be pretty trivial. The hardest
question will be to convince ourselves that we aren't choosing a
format code which some other strftime/strptime implementation is
already using.

In addition, ISTR that one of the use cases was analysis of datetime
data generated by other applications which has nanosecond resolution.
Unless those values are stored as epoch seconds, you're going to need
to parse them. It's not clear to me why you'd give people only half
the solution they need.

Skip