[Python-Dev] datetime nanosecond support (ctd?)

mdcb808 mdcb808 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 19:28:59 CET 2014

On 12/10/14 7:33 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 10 December 2014 at 16:31, Matthieu Bec <mdcb808 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> newbie first post on this list, if what follows is of context ...
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm struggling with issue per the subject, read different threads and issue
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue15443 that started 2012 still opened as of
>> today.
>>
>> Isn't there a legitimate case for nanosecond support? it's all over the
>> place in 'struct timespec' and maybe wrongly I always found python and C
>> were best neighbors. That's for the notional aspect.
> If you skip down to the more recent 2014 part of the discussion, the
> use case has been accepted as valid, but the idea still needs a
> concrete change proposal that addresses the various API design and
> backwards compatibility issues that arise. Specifically, questions
> like:

Thanks Nick.

These are typically discussed on this list or using the bug tracker?

maybe YNGTNI applied, not clear why it's not there after 2 eyars.
I'm no expert but one could imagine something reasonably simple:

- a new type datetime.struct_timespec (a la time.struct_tm)
- a new constructor datetime.time(struct_timespec), so what already
exists untouched
- pickle versioning using free bits, the new format that favors clarity
over saving byte (as described in 15443)
- not sure what's at stake with the strp/ftime() but cant imagine it's a
biggie

Regards,
Matthieu