[Python-Dev] Making it possible to accept contributions without CLA (was: My thinking about the development process)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Dec 9 15:24:41 CET 2014

On Dec 09, 2014, at 07:42 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>A more restricted CLA that limited the PSF's outgoing licence choices to
>OSI approved open source licenses might address some of the concerns
>without causing problems elsewhere, but the combination of being both
>interested in core development and having a philosophical or personal
>objection to signing the CLA seems to be genuinely rare.

The CLA does explicitly say "Contributor understands and agrees that PSF shall
have the irrevocable and perpetual right to make and distribute copies of any
Contribution, as well as to create and distribute collective works and
derivative works of any Contribution, under the Initial License or under any
other open source license approved by a unanimous vote of the PSF board."

So while not explicitly limited to an OSI approved license, it must still be
"open source", at least in the view of the entire (unanimous) PSF board.  "OSI
approved" would probably be the least controversial definition of "open
source" that the PSF could adopt.

Cheers,
-Barry