[Python-Dev] Making it possible to accept contributions without CLA

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Dec 9 00:26:58 CET 2014

Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> writes:

> Well, this is the wrong mailing list for those questions.

Thanks. I addressed the claim here where it was made; but you're right
that a different forum is better for an ongoing discussion about this
topic.

Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> writes:

> My understanding is that the PSF needs the ability to relicense the
> contribution under the standard PSF license, and it is the contributor
> agreement that gives the PSF the legal right to do this.

Okay, that's been raised before.

If anyone can cite other specific dependencies that would necessitate a
CLA for Python, please contact me off-list, and/or in the Python legal-sig
<URL:https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-legal-sig>.

> Many organizations, both for- and non-profit have this legal
> requirement, and there are many avenues for satisfying these needs,
> mostly based on different legal and business interpretations.

And many do not. It would be good to shift the PSF into the larger set
of organisations that do not require a CLA for accepting contributions.

Thanks, all. Sorry to bring the topic up again here.

--
 \      “When I was born I was so surprised I couldn't talk for a year |
  `\                                        and a half.” —Gracie Allen |