[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Dec 2 19:21:39 CET 2014

On Tue Dec 02 2014 at 1:05:22 PM Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> Thanks for taking charge, Brett.
>
> I personally think this shouldn't be brought up at the summit -- it's
> likely to just cause lots of heat about git vs. hg, free vs. not-free,
> "loyalty" to free or open tools, the weighing of core committers'
> preferences vs. outside contributors' preferences, GitHub's diversity track
> record, with no new information added. Even if we *just* had a vote by
> show-of-hands at the summit that would just upset those who couldn't be
> present.

Well, if I'm going to be the Great Decider on this then I can say upfront
I'm taking a pragmatic view of preferring open but not mandating it,
preferring hg over git but not ruling out a switch, preferring Python-based
tools but not viewing it as a negative to not use Python, etc. I would like
to think I have earned somewhat of a reputation of being level-headed and
so none of this should really be a surprise to anyone.

So if we did have a discussion at the summit and someone decided to argue
for FLOSS vs. not as a key factor then I would politely cut them off and
say that doesn't matter to me and move on.  As I said, I would moderate the
conversation to keep it on-task and not waste my time with points that have
already been made and flagged by me and you as not deal-breakers. And any
votes would be to gauge the feeling of the room and not as a binding
decision; I assume either me or someone else is going to be the dictator on
this and this won't be a majority decision.

> But I'll leave that up to you. The only thing I ask you is not to give me
> the last word. I might just do something you regret. :-)

What about me doing something that *I* regret like taking this on? =)

-Brett