[Python-Dev] LTTng-UST support for CPython

Francis Giraldeau francis.giraldeau at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 23:48:24 CET 2014

Here is a working prototype for CPython to record all function call/return
using LTTng-UST, a fast tracer.

https://github.com/giraldeau/python-profile-ust

However, there are few issues and questions:

- I was not able to get PyTrace_EXCEPTION using "raise" or other error
conditions. How can we trigger this event in Python code
(PyTrace_C_EXCEPTION works)?

- How could be the best way to get the full name of an object (such as
package, module, class and function). Maybe it's too Java-ish, and it is
better to record file/lineno instead?

- On the C-API side: I did a horrible and silly function show_type() to run
every Py*_Check() to determine the type of a PyObject *. What would be the
sane way to do that?

Your comments are very valuable. Thanks!

Francis