[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 03:49:18 CET 2014

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Pierre-Yves David <
pierre-yves.david at ens-lyon.org> wrote:

> On 11/30/2014 08:44 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>
>> For me personally, if I knew a simple patch integrated cleanly and
>> passed on at least one buildbot -- when it wasn't a platform-specific
>> fix -- then I could easily push a "Commit" button and be done with it
>> (although this assumes single branch committing; doing this across
>> branches makes all of this difficult unless we finally resolve our
>> Misc/NEWS conflict issues so that in some instances it can be
>> automated). Instead I have to wait until I have a clone I can push from,
>> download a patch, apply it, run the unit tests myself, do the commit,
>> and then repeat a subset of that to whatever branches make sense. It's a
>> lot of work for which some things could be automated.
>>

> The Misc/NEWS issue could be easily solved. Mercurial allow to specify a
> custom merge tool for specific file. And I already succesfully wrote
> dedicated merge tools for file with similar issue.

You might take a look at the hubflow/gitflow branching workflow diagrams?

https://datasift.github.io/gitflow/IntroducingGitFlow.html (GitFlow ->
Hubflow)

    feature/name, develop, hotfix/name, releases/v0.0.1, master

I've already discussed that with various people Larry, Nick, etc. And what