[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Dec 1 00:38:04 CET 2014

> I don't feel it's my job to accept or reject this PEP, but I do have an
> opinion.
> - I am basically the only remaining active PEP editor, so I see most PEP
> contributions by non-core-committers. Almost all of these uses github.
> Not bitbucket, not some other git host, but github. I spend a fair
> amount of time applying patches. It would most definitely be easier if I
> could get them to send me pull requests.

The scope of the PEP is still apparently somewhat fluid.  I said
elsewhere that I think the principal maintainers of a specialized
single-branch repository should have the principal say in where it
lives.  So I think you should be the one to decide on a PEP limited to
moving the PEP repository.

My understanding is that if the peps were moved to github, then I would
be able to suggest changes via an online web form that would generate a
pull request from edited text.  If so, I would say go ahead and move
them and see how it goes.

To me, the multibranch CPython repository is a very different issue. I
think it should stay where it is for now, especially with 2.7 support
extended.  I think for this we should better focus on better use of
developer time and getting more developers active.

--
Terry Jan Reedy