[Python-Dev] PEP 476: Enabling certificate validation by default!

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Aug 30 18:42:12 CEST 2014

On Aug 30, 2014, at 12:19 PM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

>The reasoning here is the same as for hash randomization. There
>are cases where you want to test your application using self-signed
>certificates which don't validate against the system CA root list.
>
>In those cases, you do know what you're doing. The test would fail
>otherwise and the reason is not a bug in your code, it's just
>the fact that the environment you're running it in is a test
>environment.

Exactly.  I have test cases where I have to load up a self-signed cert via
.load_cert_chain() and in the good-path tests, I expect to make successful
https connections.  I also have test cases that expect to fail when:

 * I load bogus self-signed certs
 * I have an http server masquerading as an https server
 * I load an expired self-signed cert

It certainly makes sense for the default to be the most secure, but other use
cases must be preserved.

Cheers,
-Barry