[Python-Dev] PEP 476: Enabling certificate validation by default!

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Aug 30 16:20:22 CEST 2014

On 30.08.2014 15:32, R. David Murray wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:03:57 +0200, "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> On 30.08.2014 12:55, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>>> Well, why not, but does it have a value over letting the code properly
>>> configure their SSLContext?
>>
>> Yes, because when Python changes the default to be validating
>> and more secure, application developers will do the same as
>> they do now: simply use the defaults ;-)
>
> But neither of those addresses the articulated use case: someone *using*
> a program implemented in python that does not itself provide a way to
> disable the new default security (because it is *new*).  Only an
> environment variable will do that.
>
> Since the environment variable is opt-in, I think the "consenting
> adults" argument applies to Alex's demure about "multiple connections".
> It could still emit the warnings.

That would be a possibility as well, yes.

I'd just like to see a way to say: I know what I'm doing
and I'm not in the mood to configure my own CA list, so
please go ahead and accept whatever certs you find --
much like what --no-check-certificate does for wget.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 30 2014)
2014-08-27: Released eGenix PyRun 2.0.1 ...       http://egenix.com/go62
2014-09-19: PyCon UK 2014, Coventry, UK ...                20 days to go
2014-09-27: PyDDF Sprint 2014 ...                          28 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/