[Python-Dev] pip enhancement

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Aug 27 15:21:24 CEST 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 7:58 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On systems where os-level packaging is available (e.g., fedora linux), it is not
> unusual to want a newer python package installed than available from the vendor.
> pip install --user can be used for this.

How? I have exactly this problem with nose. We actually get it bundled
(currently at ancient 1.1.2, trying to get to 1.3.4) with a bunch of
other open source software from an outside packaging company, and even
though I add the --user flag, it still complains that a version is
already installed. When I add the --upgrade flag it tries to uninstall
the global version.

Skip