[Python-Dev] Windows Unicode console support [Was: Bytes path support]

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 17:23:30 CEST 2014

On 24 August 2014 04:27, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of those areas is the fact that we still use the old 8-bit APIs to
> interact with the Windows console. Those are just as broken in a
> multilingual world as the other Windows 8-bit APIs, so Drekin came up
> with a project to expose the Windows console as a UTF-16-LE stream
> that uses the 16-bit APIs instead:
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/win_unicode_console
>
> I personally hope we'll be able to get the issues Drekin references
> there resolved for Python 3.5 - if other folks hope for the same
> thing, then one of the best ways to help that happen is to try out the
> win_unicode_console module and provide feedback on what does and
> doesn't work.

This looks very cool, and I plan on giving it a try. But I don't see
any issues mentioned there (unless you mean the fact that it's not
possible to hook into Python's interactive interpreter directly, but I
don't see how that could be fixed in an external module). There's no
open issues on the project's github tracker.

I'd love to see this go into 3.5, so any more specific suggestions as
to what would be needed to move it forwards would be great.

Paul