[Python-Dev] Bytes path support

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 11:32:57 CEST 2014

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 7:02 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Chris Barker writes:
>
>  > So I write bytes that are encoded one way into a text file that's encoded
>  > another way, and expect to be abel to read that later?
>
> No, not you.  Crap software does that.  Your MUD server.  Oleg's
> favorite web pages with ads, or more likely the ad servers.

Just to clarify: Presumably you're referring to my previous post
regarding my MUD client's heuristic handling of broken encodings. It's
"my server" in the sense of the one that I'm connecting to, and not in
the sense that I control it. I do also run a MUD server, and it
guarantees that everything it sends is UTF-8. (Incidentally, that
server has the exact same set of heuristics for coping with broken
encodings from other clients. There's no escaping it.) Your point is
absolutely right: mess like that is to cope with the fact that there's
broken stuff out there.

ChrisA