[Python-Dev] Bytes path support

Oleg Broytman phd at phdru.name
Fri Aug 22 18:52:22 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 09:37:13AM -0700, Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com> wrote:
> On 8/22/2014 8:51 AM, Oleg Broytman wrote:
> >    What encoding does have a text file (an HTML, to be precise) with
> >text in utf-8, ads in cp1251 (ad blocks were included from different
> >files) and comments in koi8-r?
> >    Well, I must admit the HTML was rather an exception, but having a
> >text file with some strange characters (binary strings, or paragraphs
> >in different encodings) is not that exceptional.
> That's not a text file. That's a binary file containing (hopefully
> delimited, and documented) sections of encoded text in different
> encodings.

   Allow me to disagree. For me, this is a text file which I can (and
do) view with a pager, edit with a text editor, list on a console,
search with grep and so on. If it is not a text file by strict Python3
standards then these standards are too strict for me. Either I find a
simple workaround in Python3 to work with such texts or find a different
tool. I cannot avoid such files because my reality is much more complex
than strict text/binary dichotomy in Python3.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytman            http://phdru.name/            phd at phdru.name