[Python-Dev] PEP 467: Minor API improvements for bytes & bytearray

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 07:17:35 CEST 2014

On 16 August 2014 03:48, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> This feels chatty. I'd like the PEP to call out the specific proposals and
> put the more verbose motivation later.

I realised that some of that history was actually completely
irrelevant now, so I culled a fair bit of it entirely.

> It took me a long time to realize
> that you don't want to deprecate bytes([1, 2, 3]), but only bytes(3).

I've split out the four subproposals into their own sections, so
hopefully this is clearer now.

> Also
> your mention of bytes.byte() as the counterpart to ord() confused me -- I
> think it's more similar to chr().

This was just a case of me using the wrong word - I meant "inverse"
rather than "counterpart".

> I don't like iterbytes as a builtin, let's
> keep it as a method on affected types.

Done. I also added an explanation of the benefits it offers over the
more generic "map(bytes.byte, data)", as well as more precise
semantics for how it will work with memoryview objects.

New draft is live at http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0467/, as well
as being included inline below.

Regards,
Nick.

PEP: 467
Title: Minor API improvements for bytes and bytearray
Version: $Revision$
Last-Modified: $Date$